The Chamber

Partners’ status and visas: Dependant’s Pass (DP) and Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)

In Singapore, it is mandatory to get a residence visa - Dependant’s Pass (DP) or a Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP) - from the Ministry Of Manpower (MOM), for each family member (spouse, children and parents) who will be accompanying the eligible Employment Pass (EP) or S Pass’ holders (with a minimum wage of SGD 6,000/month). These passes are linked to the EP or S Pass’ holder.Therefore, if the EP or S Pass expired or is cancelled, or in the event of a change of employer or a loss of employment by the main work pass’ holder, all related passes will be impacted.


Dependant’s Pass (DP)

The DP is a residence visa, not a work visa. It can be applied for the following family members, to accompany the EP or S Pass' holder to stay in Singapore: 

  • legally married spouse
  • unmarried children under 21 years old, including legally adopted children


In order to be able to work, Dependants’ of EP holders, can get a "Letter of Consent" (LOC), applied by the employer. In this case, the person works while keeping its dependant status. As the LOC remains attached to the DP, any change in the DP status will affect the LOC.

Alternatively, the DP holder may also get his or her own EP or S Pass, applied by the employer. In this case, the DP holder becomes independent and the DP will be cancelled.

Note: In general, a LOC is easier to get approval, compare to an EP or a S Pass.

Important: A foreigner holding an EP, a S Pass or a LOC cannot hold more than one job (paid or not) at the same time.


Long Term Visit Pass (LTVP)

The LTVP is a residence visa, not a work visa. It can be applied for the following family members to accompany the EP or S Pass’ holder to stay in Singapore:

  • common-law spouse
  • unmarried handicapped children above 21 years old
  • unmarried step-children under 21 years old
  • parents - only for those earning a fixed monthly salary of at least SGD 12,000

To be able to work, LTVP holders must get their own work visas (EP or S Pass), applied by their employer.


Special case: LTVP not issued by MOM

  • The married spouse of a PR (Permanent Resident) or a Singaporean, can apply for an LTVP at the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

In this framework, the LTVP holder can personally apply for a PLOC (Pre-Approved LOC) along with its LTVP application. This PLOC will be attached to his or her residence pass (and not to a specific employer) so that this LTVP holder can work without applying for a work visa. The employer will just have to e-notify MOM when recruiting an ICA LTVP + PLOC’s holder.

  • A parent, accompanying a foreign child with a Student Pass can get a residence pass issued by ICA, also referred to as LTVP.

In order to work, the LTVP parent must get a work visa (EP or S Pass), applied by the employer. Please note that the parent is not allowed to work during its first LTVP year.


Since 2011, the French Chamber of Commerce in Singapore has an Employment Agency licence (Licence No. 10C4756) and all our agents are certified to assist you in your recruitment and visa applications.

For more information, please contact us bizsupport(@)



Get your copy of FOCUS Magazine Issue 80: Designing a Circular Economy World